The Hartsburg-Emden District Library believes:
- Students have the right to read materials of their own choosing.
- Students have the right to explore and learn in areas of their own personal interest.
- Every student has the right to see themselves, their families, and all people in the materials in the school library.
- Students are not defined by a reading level.
- That the school library is made to support the students and their needs and interests as well as support the curriculum of the school.
- That the library is a safe place for all students.
- That the library offers multiple ways for students to extend their learning, not only outside of the classroom, but also outside of the community.
- That students deserve a platform to the world and must therefore learn to be good global citizens.